[CentOS] iptables: forwarding on internal device

John jses27 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 16:28:22 UTC 2009

----
Slackware is the Key here Marcus. The two distros have different modules
built into the kernel by default and maybe a cause for why it is happening?
But Honestly I don't see how you are ever going to forward packets and
requests with the below rule. How are you going to come into and back out of
the same interface? That's why it want traverse How about -i eth0 -o eth1 or
-I eth0 -o eth0:0

-A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth0 -m state --state \
NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

When you use iptables save it does not save the the rules you just put into
it! You will have to edit /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config:

# Unload modules on restart and stop
#   Value: yes|no,  default: yes
# This option has to be 'yes' to get to a sane state for a firewall
# restart or stop. Only set to 'no' if there are problems unloading
netfilter
# modules.
IPTABLES_MODULES_UNLOAD="yes"

# Save current firewall rules on stop.
#   Value: yes|no,  default: no
# Saves all firewall rules to /etc/sysconfig/iptables if firewall gets
stopped
# (e.g. on system shutdown).
IPTABLES_SAVE_ON_STOP="yes"

# Save current firewall rules on restart.
#   Value: yes|no,  default: no
# Saves all firewall rules to /etc/sysconfig/iptables if firewall gets
# restarted.
IPTABLES_SAVE_ON_RESTART="yes"

JohnStanley