[CentOS] What is the System Event Log?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Feb 10 22:50:28 UTC 2009

Peter Kjellstrom wrote:

> However, with or without /dev/ipmi0 you can access the BMC remotely with
> (assuming you have an IP configured etc.).

I'd never heard of BMC (I am not an expert in this area, to put it mildly)
but on googling for "dell bmc" I found
<http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/power/ps1q05-20040219-Brumley.pdf>
where I learnt that
"The on-board baseboard management controller (BMC)
is a powerful and flexible device that can be used to effectively manage
eighth-generation Dell servers such as the
PowerEdge 1850, PowerEdge 2800, and PowerEdge 2850."

This suggests to me that my modest PowerEdge T105 probably
does not support this service.

How would I access it if it were available?
I see a large number of BMC-related ports in /etc/services ,
but none of them seem to be active on my server.