[CentOS] 4 X 500 gb drives - best software raid config for a backup

Jerry Franz jfranz at freerun.com
Wed Feb 18 19:24:51 UTC 2009

dnk wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am currently setting up a server that will house my backups (simply
> using rsync).
>
> This system has 4 X 500 gb drives and I am looking to raid for max
> drive space and data safety. Performance is not so much a concern.
>
> My experience with software raids in nil, so some of these may seem
> like pretty dumb questions.
>
> I was thinking a raid 1 is probably sufficient.
>
> Would it be best to raid 1 two drives each and LVM them together?

The configuration you want is a hybrid of RAID1 and RAID5. The RAID1 is
because GRUB doesn't grok RAID5, but is OK with just your /boot
partition in RAID1.

Make a RAID1 for your /boot partition as follows:

/dev/md0 - /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdc1 (S), /dev/sdd1 (S) (100 Mbytes)

Make a RAID5 as follows for a LVM partition using the rest of your
available space as follows (just under 1500 Mbytes):

/dev/md1 - /dev/sda2, /dev/sdb2, /dev/sdc2, /dev/sdd2

Create a LVM partition on /dev/md1 and carve out your / and swap
partitions from it.

--
Benjamin Franz