[CentOS] 4 X 500 gb drives - best software raid config for a backup server?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Feb 18 19:51:55 UTC 2009

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> Can't Linux LVM do mirroring?  I swear I read that it could in the man
> page.  Never have tried it however and you certainly can't set it up
> from disk druid in anaconda.

dunno.  the word 'mirror occurs exactly once in the man page for lvm(8)

        lvconvert -- Convert a logical volume from linear to mirror or
snapshot.

the man page on lvconvert has more info, and this
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Cluster_Logical_Volume_Manager/mirrored_volumes.html
certainly implies CentOS5 supports it.

glad to know thats finally there.  however, it doesn't seem to support
little things like hot spares or automatic rebuilding.   in fact, the
rebuild process looks involved and convoluted...
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Cluster_Logical_Volume_Manager/mirrorrecover.html