[CentOS] CentOS 5.2 and SATA HotSwap

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Thu Feb 19 20:26:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009, Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:57, Julio Rodanes - KNET <julio at knet.es> wrote:
>> I have read that the AHCI module allows hotplug but when I add a hot new
>> SATA disk, the system don't detects it .
>>
>> Any idea of what the problem is?
>
>Even though it's hotplug, you have to give Linux a command so that it
>will scan the bus and add the disks to its internal tables.

Good stuff deleted...

Doing a google search on ``ahci linux'' had this at the top of
the list.  Is this the best place to look for hardware
compatibility?

	http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html

According to this there are no Adaptec SATA devices with ahci
capabilities.  I am interested because we have a box with a
Supermicro X5DPL-TGM main board with on-board Adaptec AIC-8120
that I would like to be able to hot-swap.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

Most people, sometime in their lives, stumble across truth. Most jump
up, brush themselves off, and hurry on about their business as if
nothing had happened. - Sir Winston Churchill