[CentOS] BiND Failover

Darrin Khan medavian at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 12:39:34 UTC 2009

Hi,

If it is a mission critical system, check out http://www.linux-ha.org/

I have that managing a cluster of servers for HA SQL. In your case you may
get away with just using a floating IP. Have the DNS pointing to that.

Then no matter what server the IP is on the DNS doesn't need to be updated.
the fail over times in this type of setup are relativley low, maybe <1m
depending on how you set it up ..

Another Idea anyway.

Darrin

2009/2/20 Per Qvindesland <per at norhex.com>

> Hi list,
>

> I've two servers running the same ldap service. A is primary server and B
> is
> simply a mirror, and accounts from server A are constantly synchronized
> with
> B.
>
> Now I don't have a automatic failover solution, whenever server A goes
> down,
> I have to point the domain's A record to server B and wait for the DNS to
> get updated. Takes quite a lot of time but the ldap service is crucial to
> the system and shouldn't be down for longer than a few minutes.
>
> I've heard about Dyndns? They provide automatic failover if one server does
> down, what I want to know is if I can do the same using Bind? And if it's
> possible to do it automatically? Without human intervention.
>
> I don't want a round-robin solution, I want a automatic switchover if
> primary box goes down.
>
> Regards
> Per Qvindesland

Darrin Khan
medavian at gmail.com

Bill Watterson  - "There is not enough time to do all the nothing we want to
do."