[CentOS] new user - with questions

John jses27 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 06:48:04 UTC 2009

> -----Original Message-----
> From: centos-bounces at centos.org
> [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Michael Klinosky
> Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 10:33 PM
> To: centos maillist
> Subject: [CentOS] new user - with questions
----

Maybe the best way to determine if CentOS is for you is to download the
CentOS 5.2 Live CD Image. Put it into your cd drive and start up your
computer. That way you will get a LooK and FeeL of what it is like and some
of the associated apps like FireFox. At least that way will give you an
actual demonstration of it and you will know for sure if your hardware is
compatable also. I believe doing this will answer more of your questions
that you are lurking after.

CentOS has its' on repository to get updates for the OS which has mirrors
sites also. Addon extra packages can be obtained from other software repos
as long as package dependancies are solved. I would advise to stay away from
installing from source and sticking to *.rpm packages only, especially since
you would be a new user so to speak.

JohnStanley