[CentOS] 4 X 500 gb drives - best software raid config for a backup server?

Noob Centos Admin centos.admin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 16:21:45 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:42 PM, Chan Chung Hang Christopher <
christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

>  Would running two CP command to copy 2 different set of files to two
>> different targets suffice as a basic two thread test?
>>

> So long as you generate disk access through a file system and not hdparm.
>
>> Is there a way to monitor actual disk transfers from command line without
>> having to do manual timing?
>>
> Like I said: iostat
>
> Thanks for the information. I checked iostat on one of my older servers
running off CentOS 5.0 (2.6.18-53.1.21.el5xen) which was also running md
raid 1 and it also confirmed that the md raid 1 was getting reads from both
member devices.

Although looking at it now, I think I really screwed up that installation,
being my first, I had md running on top of LVM PV *slap forehead*