[CentOS] Software Raid Recovery

Stephen Leonard Character Stephen.Character at Alorica.net
Sat Feb 21 17:27:14 UTC 2009

> Stephen Leonard Character wrote:
>> So, to change my swap to raid1, I would need to unmount it, delete
>> the
>> md2 device, and rebuild it as a raid1 md2 device?
>>

> swapoff /dev/md2
> # now delete the raid0 and build a raid1
> mkswap /dev/md2
> swapon /dev/md2
>

> and you probably don't have to change your /etc/fstab assuming the
> metadevice name stays the same.

>Since he'll have 4 md partitions after breaking the raid0, create 2
>raid1 mds and add them both as priority 1 swap devices and the kernel
>will stripe pages across them.
>
>-Ross
>
>PS  I prefer to create swap from LVM so to bypass this whole mess all
>together. LVM and RAID both come from device-mapper, so it's proven
>reliable and well performing technology. I wish ZFS was GPL'd though
>so Linux could adopt it and we'd be done talking about file systems
>and volume managers.

Since this was just a test box, I decided to reinstall using a raid1 md0
for /boot, and the rest of the 4 drives in raid 5 md1 with a lvm on the
raid 5 with / and swap inside lvm. Thanks Ross, that was a great idea!

Regards,
Stephen