[CentOS] 4 X 500 gb drives - best software raid config for a backup server?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 23:24:27 UTC 2009

Ian Forde wrote:
> Might not be a bad idea to see how they're able to use
> mdadm to detect and autosync drives.  I don't *ever* want to go through
> something like:
>
> http://kev.coolcavemen.com/2008/07/heroic-journey-to-raid-5-data-recovery/
>
> Not when a little planning can help me skip it... ;)

If you are really concerned about data recovery and can chunk up your
filesystem mount points so things fit on a single disk (usually not too
hard with 1 or 1.5 TB drives available now) just use software raid1
since you can simply mount any single disk from it and access the files.
  It becomes much more difficult with other raid levels or multi-disk lvm.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com