[CentOS] 4 X 500 gb drives - best software raid config for a backup server?

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sun Feb 22 15:30:48 UTC 2009

>> You will have to prove that. I have previously posted posts with links
>> to benchmarks that show that hardware raid with sufficient processing
>> power beat the pants of software raid when it comes to raid5/6
>> implementations. Hardware raid cards no longer come with crappy i960 cpus.
>>

> Just by doing some quick googling, I came across:
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=126
> http://storagemojo.com/2007/04/24/mo-better-zfs-performance-stats/
> http://milek.blogspot.com/2007/04/hw-raid-vs-zfs-software-raid-part-iii.html

I have an issue with that benchmark. I don't know what that EMC is made
of nevermind the fancy FC.

Regarding my posts...they were on the ubuntu-user list...not
here...so...here are the links:

Thread post:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/2008-December/004887.html

Don't use underpowered hardward raid boards for raid5/6
http://www.chemistry.wustl.edu/~gelb/castle_raid.html

Use hardware raid boards with enough cpu/cache for raid5/6
http://www.linux.com/feature/140734