[CentOS] Is GFS for HPC?

Jens Larsson jens at nsc.liu.se
Mon Feb 23 14:52:26 UTC 2009

> > Just curious if GFS can be used in a HPC environment, like GPFS or
> > Oracle OCFS2?

> I don't think so. Comments from people in the HPC-business indicate that
> it doesn't scale to the number of nodes that typically forms these kinds
> of environments.
>
> NFS still rulez there, together with more (ISILON/Panasas) or less (SUN)
> specialized NFS-serving-gear.
> Rainer

NFS (<4.1) doesn't scale either. I would say that GPFS and Lustre is more
usable than NFS in an HPC environment. You need a parallell file system
when the data rates gets higher. But much depends on the I/O-profile of
the jobs.

/jens

--
Jens Larsson, NSC, Linköpings universitet, SE-58183 LINKÖPING, SWEDEN
Phone: +46-13-281432, Mobile: +46-709-521432, E-mail: jens at nsc.liu.se
GPG/PGP Key: 1024D/C21BB2C7 2001-02-27 Jens Larsson <jens at nsc.liu.se>
Key Fingerprint: BAEF 85CF BF1D  7A69 C965 2EE6  C541 D57F C21B  B2C7