[CentOS] GNU Screen - emacs mode frustration

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 19:16:06 UTC 2009

Sean Carolan wrote:
> I like Gnu screen, but the choice of CTRL-A as the command sequence is
> extremely unfortunate.  Like many other bash users, I use CTRL-A to
> get back to the beginning of the line (emacs editing mode).
>
> How do you all get around this problem?  Also, I'm wondering if there
> is an easy way to get mouse scrolling to work when reviewing terminal
> history in screen.  It's a pain in the arse to CTRL-A then ESC to be
> able to scroll back.

Have you considered freenx and the NX client from
http://www.nomachine.com instead?  It gives you the same
disconnect/reconnect capability but with a full GUI desktop and fairly
efficient cross-platform remote access.  I like it better than screen
even when most of my windows are xterms.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com