[CentOS] Need to test serial port connection

Anne Wilson

cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 26 10:17:29 UTC 2009

I recently bought a new UPS, and I'm attempting to use nut to  monitor it.
Following setup instructions everything seemed to go well until it came to
testing the connection, which failed.

There is just one serial connector on the computer, so I set it to
monitor /dev/ttyS0.   Either that is wrong, or communication is failing.
I've been told to try minicom to monitor it, but I'm not familiar with
minicom (or any similar app), so again, I may be wrong in the way I'm trying
to use that.  I was told that unconnecting the device, then re-connecting it
should give me a raft of output to the terminal - I saw nothing.

Could someone please give me idiot-level instructions on how to tell whether
I'm connecting to the correct port, or whatever other information I need?

Thanks

Anne