[CentOS] Firefox plugins gone (but only for one user)

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu Feb 26 10:22:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 23:17 -0500, Rob Kampen wrote:
> Hi gurus
> I have a CentOS 5.2 current x86_64 that has Thunderbird and Firefox
> working well for one user account (my wife) but will not play nice for
> my account.
> I have uninstalled thunderbird and firefox (via yum) and re-installed -
> no change.
> I have just wiped the .mozilla folder and started afresh, but it still
> shows no plugins, yet the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ has the
> libflashplayer.so link etc.
>
> How does all this stuff get hooked up.
>
> I have previously installed firefox direct from their site and not used
> the CentOS supplied rpm, but now that RH say the light and provides a
> current version, I use the yum process to get my firefox installed.
> Everything was working a week or so ago, but when I tried fixing things
> yesterday, all went rapidly pear shaped.
> In firefox I pressed the Check Now button under Firefox > Preferences >
> Advanced > System Defaults and now its gone and lost all my plugins

In the other thread about this to which I replied, I tried to make clear
that this is the cause of the pluginreg.dat being trashed. You want to
have NOT checked the check now and/or make it the default. Gnome has a
script that can set this. Someone else posted it in another thread, but
I can't remember it. Also, the Gnome menus System->Preferences->More
Preferences->Preferred Applications->Web Browser can be used to set it.
Once you select Firefox, the command box should have "firefox %s".

Once this is set, starting FF should make a new pluginreg.dat if you
removed the previous one, IIRC.

In FF, edit preferences will get you to a place where you can fine tune
the plugin configuration.

> <snip>

I'm going from memory here. Search the CentOS archives for a previous
thread about this to find all the gory details. A search with my name,
and pluginreg and/or firefox outght to get you to it quickly.

HTH
--
Bill