[CentOS] Need to test serial port connection

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 26 19:04:46 UTC 2009

On Thursday 26 February 2009 17:20:50 nate wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > It's a Liebert Personal XT 700.  The cable is supplied with the unit.
>
> According to the NUT docs this UPS is supported by the usb driver,
> are you connecting the USB cable with it or using a serial cable?
>
> http://eu1.networkupstools.org/compat/stable.html

The docs that come with nut say that you can use either serial or usb.

> Getting USB UPSs to work with NUT can be tricky as well, at least for
> me I typically have to force NUT to run as root otherwise it can't
> talk to the UPS.

I'm not at the server at the moment, but I did follow the instructions that
came with the package very closely.

> What are you doing to test the connection? Have you tried running
> the NUT daemons in debug mode to see what they are doing(i.e. not
> running it using the init script).

As in the instructions, I ran ' /usr/local/ups/sbin/upsd' - which should have
returned the info that it was connected.  It also goes on to say that 'upsd
prints dots while it waits for the driver to respond'.  This didn't happen.
All I got was

/usr/local/ups/sbin/upsd
Network UPS Tools upsd 2.4.1
not listening on 192.168.0.95 port 3493

The last line is not a problem, as that address is this laptop, which was
configured to access the software when necessary, but was not running at that
moment.  Just in case I was worrying for nothing, I tried the next command (as
root):

/usr/local/ups/bin/upsc borg2Liebert at borg2 ups.status
Error: Connection failure: Connection refused

> The driver specified by the NUT docs for your UPS is the same one I
> had to use for one of my APC UPSs which is USB based.

After going through all this again to explain for you, that has made me think
that I should check ownership etc again in the morning, and try the commands
again as 'nut' rather than as root.  It's making me think of when I set amanda
up, and the commands always had to be run as amanda.  It has to be worth a
try.

Anne