[CentOS] Need to test serial port connection

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 26 20:29:01 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:

> I'm not often beaten by things, but sometimes I have to fight them on and off
> for quite a while before they are resolved.  I'm grateful for all the help I'm
> getting here.  I shan't be giving up for a good while yet :-) if at all.
>
> Anne
RS232C is enough to kick anyone's butt.  For openers, the RS232C
"standard" has been bent more ways than any other so-called standard
I've ever worked with.  I would never attack a situation such as you
have (nothing given, find everything and prove 3 ways) without a
breakout box.  Lacking one of those, you might find the statserial
program to be of some use in figuring out what the control lines are doing.
#  yum --enablerepo=dag install statserial
will install it.  It has a short man page.   Run with no options except
device ( # statserial /dev/ttyS0 )  will cause it to loop, indicating
status of all control signals.   You can manually tweak any of the pins
with direction of "in" with a 9-volt battery or by using a paper-clip
jumper from one of the "out" lines.  It won't be long before you can
identify the port, moving an "unknown" to "found".

Good luck!