[CentOS] Easiest way to get samba up and working for Windows users?

Noob Centos Admin centos.admin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 09:59:36 UTC 2009

I'm seriously befuddled by Samba now.

I followed the good advice given and got the previous server set up nicely.

I did the same thing on another one and it refuses to work.

1. useradd some users
2. gpasswd -a them to a "staff" group nd smbpasswd -a them
3. chmod g+s the staff directory
4. tested smbclient -L smbserver works
5. Windows user can see the Netbios name but not the share
6. Trying to access fails after timeout
7. Checked iptables/firewall not blocking
8. tail -f samba logs but nothing happens, it's like samba never see
the incoming request. Note that it doesn't log anything with smbclient
-L either.
9. mv the smb.conf and used a very basic one, similar to the one
suggested in this thread.
10. yum remove and installed samba again just in case

Still not working.

I'm almost certain now that samba coder snuck in a devious randomizer
that requires every single installation to only work after an random
sequence of actions is taken. :(

Any hints or magic words?