[CentOS] Easiest way to get samba up and working for Windows users?

Noob Centos Admin centos.admin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 17:48:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 8:12 PM, JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> How about chown -R root:staff /directory_name ???
>                   chmod -R 777 /directory_name ???

The directory was chown -R to staff:staff and chmod -R to 770
I'll give a try on 777 on Monday (US Sunday). They are currently using
an older Win2K server for sharing so not an urgent transition hence I
don't get to go in again until they start on Monday.

>> 4. tested smbclient -L smbserver works
>
> smbclient -L localhost -U% try that.

I did try the -U <username> previously. samba will ask me for a
password, and then show me the standard information. So it's rather
odd that this doesn't show up on log, and coming in from the network
doesn't work at all. Iptables has the ports opened and server can be
pinged so it's not due to traffic being blocked either.

> Just to rule out user input error take the working samba configuration
> from the previous server and copy it over to the current none working
> one. Then "service smb reload" or "service smb restart".

Will try that on Monday, although the exact names are not quite the same.

> At least make sure you are working with the same samba package versions.

Both of them should be the latest version as in both cases, I did a
yum remove and install after initial difficulties just to clear out
any possible errors introduced by this clueless admin.

> Lastly it would be or "WE" could help a bit more if you posted the
> current configuration your working with to possibly spot errors in it.

Ok, again, Monday :)

Thanks!