[CentOS] CD burning issues & questions

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Sun Jan 4 12:57:12 UTC 2009

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> <snip>
> <snip>
>> That's what I found.  If you find it works the same way as I saw, we should
>> file a bug report.
> <snip>
>> If you have a spare disk you might do a test burn, while it's on your mind?
>> Let us know what happens.
>
> Anne: This seems OT and probably a bug report or a support request, on
> CentOS or at Upstream would be appropriate? This morning, I took two
> (2) CD-RW media, one Imation and one Verbatim, and I tried this. Each
> of them had four (4) photos on them, a few MB of stuff. No Joy here. I
> get different results than you do. When I hoped it would automatically
> erase the CD-RW, as it did for you, before writing new data, I got
> this Error: The disk is either empty or is not appendable".
>
> When I tried Tools > Erase CD-RW (I tried Erase Fast, Complete and
> Last Session and got the same results), I got, "The Erasing process
> failed. Do you want to see the debugging output?". Below is that file.
> Should a bug or support request be filed about K3b? If so, where? Will
> you do that?  I suspect that K3b a very widely used application. I was
> logged in as a normal user, not root.   TIA, Lanny
>
> System
> -----------------------
> K3b Version: 0.12.17
>
> KDE Version: 3.5.4-16.el5.centos CentOS
> QT Version:  3.3.6
> Kernel:      2.6.18-92.1.22.el5
> Devices
> -----------------------
> SONY CD-RW  CRX216E PD03 (/dev/hdd, ) at  [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM]
> [CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R96P; SAO/R96R; RAW/R16;
> RAW/R96P; RAW/R96R]
>
> HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B 0D20 (/dev/hdc, ) at  [CD-ROM; DVD-ROM]
> [DVD-ROM; CD-ROM] [None]
> Used versions
> -----------------------
> cdrecord: 2.1
>
> cdrecord command:
> -----------------------
> /usr/bin/cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hdd speed=4 -tao
> driveropts=burnfree -eject -overburn blank=fast -force
>
> cdrecord
> -----------------------
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
>
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority
> using setpriority().
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
> scsidev: '/dev/hdd'
> devname: '/dev/hdd'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
> [...]

I've seen this as well. I believe it happens because KDE (I guess GNOME
would do the same) detects the disc, mounts it and opens a konqueror
(fileviewer) window to graphically show the top-level directory. If that
happens, k3b cannot open the device exclusively (that's what the error
message says) and therefore cannot erase it.

The workaround is to
a) wait until the fileviewer window comes up,
b) close theat window
c) unmount the disc (right-click on desktop icon)
d) make sure it's no longer mounted, by saying "mount" in a shell window
and inspecting the output carefully
e) only then start k3b.

works for me.

HTH,