[CentOS] CD burning issues & questions

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 4 16:57:29 UTC 2009

On Sunday 04 January 2009 16:19:46 Lanny Marcus wrote:

> <snip>
>
> > No.  Perhaps I did not make it clear.  I did not allow the >disk to be
> > mounted. The tip opened up when k3b recognised the disk, which >has
> > nothing to do with mounting.  If you can't avoid mounting the disk, then
> > you >must umount it before attempting to use it with k3b.
>
> OK. I've made  some tests and if you believe that anything I ran into
> warrants a bug  or support request against K3b, on CentOS.org and/or
> RedHat.com please tell me.
>
> I opened a terminal window, "su -"  and then "umount /dev/hdd" and
> then I exited from the shell.
>
> (a) I can use the drop down menu, "Tools" > "Erase CD-RW", without any
> problem.

That seems to prove that it's simply a mount problem.

> (b) I can write new files to the CD-RW. I did not get a message,
> asking me if I wanted it to erase the CD-RW media. It did *not* erase
> the existing files on the CD-RW media, before writing the new files.
> It added the new files, as if the CD-RW were a multi session disk.

Probably you only get that message when it needs a whole disk, like burning an
iso (bootable).

> (c) In the K3b list of files in my home directory (/home/lanny) it
> showed files that had been deleted previously.

Not sure what you mean there, but maybe it's relelvant that any files in your
wastebin are still actually there in your home directory?  I've never seen
anything that makes me suspect a problem with this - never seen files that I
believed to be deleted.

You need to know if anyone else has seen this problem, before reporting it.

Anne