[CentOS] OT-ish: GPG problem

Anne Wilson

cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 4 19:54:13 UTC 2009

I'm asking here because it is the best resource I know for knowledgeable
people.  The problem in question occurs on my Fedora 9 box and Fedora 10
netbook, while another person, Chris, has the problem on a Mandriva 2009 box.
Whatever is causing it, that leads me to think that it's not distro-specific.
Both of us are using kmail.

Kgpg sees and lists all the keys on my keyring.  Setting up cryptography for
kmail on the boxes in question is where the problem lies.  KMail does not
appear to be seeing the keyrings.  When you try to select your key, the list
is empty.  If you type in the key ID and ask it to fetch the keys you get an
endless back and forward progress bar.

As an experiment, on my F10 netbook I renamed the ~/.gnupg folder and
recreated it by logging in.  I did not copy my keyrings across.  I then asked
for my key to be imported, and that completed correctly.  I then turned to
KMail, but still my key could not be seen or used.

I think that that experiment rules out any possibility that I had introduced
the problem by copying in config files and keyrings from previous versions.

Can anyone suggest further lines of enquiry?  Thanks

Anne