[CentOS] OT-ish: GPG problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 5 20:38:47 UTC 2009

On Monday 05 January 2009 20:27:48 Vandaman wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > There is some obscure bug that probably
> > interacts with something
> > else to cause this - it's certainly not normal
> > behaviour.
> >
> > I've talked to several people with quite deep knowledge
> > of KMail (over a
> > period of 8 months), yet no-one could tell me why this
> > occurs.  In fact, until
> > Chris contacted me about his problem on a Mandriva install
> > I had thought that
> > the bug was only in the Fedora package.  Now it seems that
> > it may not be.
>
> Have you thought of going to the upstream mailing list of gpg
> or kmail and asking there? If the "problem" is not distro-specific
> it is likely to have been met by someone upstream.
>
> It would also be worth giving the Fedora/Mandriva lists a look
> to see if the problem has been reported there. If the problem has
> not been reported upstream or in those distros then it is likely
> to be something you have done.

Yes, I've discussed it on both Fedora and Mandriva lists.  I think it's the
old problem of intermittant faults being difficult to pinpoint.  As I said,
I've done many, many installs and setups of kmail + gpg, yet never met this
problem until F9, and I can't see any difference between the setup there and
the setup on this laptop where it works, so it's not surprising that people
haven't seen it.

The only gpg ML I found was PGP-Basics at yahoogroups.com.  I can't help feeling
that there should be a better list than that.  Maybe I hit bad timing.  I'll
try them again.

Anne