[CentOS] Video lock up

Spiro Harvey spiro at knossos.net.nz
Tue Jan 6 20:08:15 UTC 2009

> Nvidia MX440 video
>          Driver      "nv"

Unsure if Nvidia have a driver for this video card on their site, but
it might be worth checking out.

My Fedora box at home had the same issues with the "nv" driver and I
switched to the official "nvidia" driver and haven't had any problems
lately.

Originally I noticed the problem surfaced with more regularity when
running WoW under Wine, but occassionally it would just freak out
randomly. I'm also using Compiz with many effects turned on, so that
could have pushed it over the edge sometimes too.. However, I don't play
WoW any more, so that may have something to do with the increase in
stability too, but Nvidia are releasing updates for it pretty regularly.

The downside is that every time a new kernel is released, you have to
re-run the nvidia setup program, so don't delete it.

--
Spiro Harvey                  Knossos Networks Ltd
021-295-1923                    www.knossos.net.nz