[CentOS] Update to Centos 5 anaconda kickstart %post bug?

R P Herrold herrold at centos.org
Thu Jan 8 23:20:07 UTC 2009

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, Scott Silva wrote:

>> on 1-8-2009 1:28 PM Warren, Eucke spake the following:

>>> Is there a process for finding status updates to open bugs
>>> within Centos?

-- view it in a web browser, and optionally 'monitor' it so
emails of updated state are received

-- offer to buy support from the the project or person it is
assigned to, if really important [not likely and really CentOS
is not interested in competing with the upstream]

-- buy enough upstream subscriptions to get assigned a TAC
[and watch the report get triaged down to irrelevance ;) ]

>>> I do see the manual fix for it and will be testing that
>>> shortly.  I am, however, dealing with a fairly rigid
>>> internal legal department that may not welcome a "fix"
>>> that's not "official".

official from centos means:

 	http://mirror.centos.org/centos-5/5/os/i386/EULA

Have fun watching legal and finance fight.

> It must be of a low enough priority to not get a lot of attention.

Also, anyone who is on the upstream anaconda and kickstart
mailing lists has seen this issue reported and debated, and
more importantly knows that anaconda is tailored to each major
release upstream.

Frankly, it is generally not worth fixing nor materially
addressing with upstream without lots of TAC interest and
firepower, as the patches be ignored, and will rot like fruit
in the hot Sun (or be refactored away as it is so closely tied
to the then underlying Python's quirks)  ;)

-- Russ herrold