[CentOS] restraint; was: Update to Centos 5 anaconda kickstart %post bug?[SOLVED]

R P Herrold herrold at centos.org
Fri Jan 9 19:31:31 UTC 2009

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Warren, Eucke wrote:

> ... To suggest a "shaming" only makes the Centos community
> look bad as it would be done so without understanding the
> entire environment and situation.

Thank you for the restrained reply, Eucke

Wearing my '@centos.org' hat, let me add that I strongly
concur to the effect that 'shaming' on a mailing list is
probably not something to encourage; advising as to better
practice, or better, simply staying still if one has nothing
new to add are often fine responses to some posts.

We have a place to use social pressure toward education and
growth as a sysadmin, in the ground rules of avoiding
'spoonfeeding' in the #centos IRC channel, and that's about
all; we have not had inquiries there yet about 'baby mulching
machines or atomic bombs' [1], but I suppose we would answer
the centos 'on topic' part.  We would send the off topic away,
either to #centos-social (if it looked like we conld amuse
that channel), or to a more appropirate venue for remaining
off topic matter.

-- Russ herrold

[1] http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Theo_de_Raadt