[CentOS] Email/GroupWare Suite

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sat Jan 10 14:52:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Kevin Thorpe wrote:

> Bo Lynch wrote:
>> Just wanted to get some thoughts from the list.....
>>
>> We are a public k-12 school and are looking to migrate to a groupware
>> style system for out staff to collaborate better. Currently we are using
>> Squirrelmail/postfix for email. Does anyone have any
>> recommendations/opinions. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>> Thank you
> I would stick in a suggestion to look at Scalix. Not free at 300 users,
> but it does run nicely on CentOS.
> Integrates well with Outlook and has a very nice webmail front end.

I would be careful with Scalix. My son used to work at a place where they
went with Scalix for 300+ users. The day to day maintenance on it can be a
real bear. When you have a real problem that requires support, Scalix support
is less than helpful. He left that job for another but still keeps in touch
with his old boss. The old boss has told him that due to the Scalix problems
they are budgeting for replacing Scalix with Exchange.

On the other side of the coin, when it works, it works well and integrates well
with Outlook. It is just overly complex under the hood.

FWIW, they had Scalix running for 3+ years.

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com