[CentOS] Poor RAID performance new Xeon server?

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 18:20:38 UTC 2009

On Jan 11, 2009, at 1:06 PM, Stewart Williams <lists at pinkyboots.co.uk>
wrote:

> Ross Walker wrote:
>> On Jan 11, 2009, at 10:13 AM, Stewart Williams
>> <lists at pinkyboots.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Thanks William,
>>>
>>> I am no expert on RAID, so you have opened my eyes to somethings I
>>> wasn't aware of.
>>>
>>> I am considering disabling the onboard RAID in the BIOS and
>>> re-installing CentOS and configuring the 4 drives as RAID 10 just to
>>> see
>>> what the performance is like.
>>>
>>> Or I may purchase a card as you advise. Would I benefit from
>>> buying a
>>> SCSI/or SAS card and drives for my requirements? Basically the main
>>> role
>>> of the machine is to serve a ~600MB file via samba to 5 Windows XP
>>> cient
>>> PC's on a gigabit network.
>>
>> If all your doing is serving a single file to a handful of PCs then a
>> 2 drive mirror will be more then enough.
>
> That is what I currently have setup on the old server, but it only has
> 1GB ram and AMD Duron 1300MHz CPU.
>
> The performance on the clients gets slower as the file size grows and
> now it has got very slow - hence the new server.

Sounds like the file is getting more and more fragmented and the io is
turning into random io over it.

Once a week disable access to the file, copy it to a new name then
move it back over the top of the old one and that'll defrag it.

>> You should stick with the OS RAID though as the onboard RAID will
>> bring nothing but pain.
>
> That is what I have read. So understood :-)
>

>> For sequential IO expect 60MB/s read and 40MB/s write (with the
>> drive's write cache enabled) per drive. Random IO is an order of
>> magnitude less.
>
> Should that be OK for my needs or for the clients to be happy should I
> be wanting more? what figure should I be looking at?

That's what to expect with standard file io operations (4k) some apps
use larger ios so they will get better throughput (backups 64k, video
editing 128k+) which can max the network throughput (115MB/s on Gbe).

> Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the

Not a problem, that's what the lists are for!

-Ross