[CentOS] [OT] Remote control of a WinXP machine from a Linux host

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 19:11:42 UTC 2009

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>>> Well, first, private-ip-of-remote-XP-machine is dynamic, given by my ISP's
>>> dhcp server, so I cannot have 100% guarantee that it will always be the
>>> same. And I have no easy way of finding it out if it does change.
>> Can't you use one of those free dyndns-thingies? That way you'd always
>> connect to my.homecomputer.com (or something) instead of an arbitrary ip.
>
> Umm, no, not when my IP address is 10.0.1.2.3 or such --- it is not publicly
> visible, so dns is useless.

I think you've missed the point of how and why you use dynamic DNS.  You
register the NAT router's public address, not your PC private address.
Many routers can be configured to do this automatically and do the
necessary update whenever their DCHP-assigned address changes.  Then you
configure the router to port-forward to the desired private address and
you can reach it over the internet by DNS name even though the public
address may change periodically.   But I don't think you mentioned
whether you control the router at the remote location or not - and I'd
probably trust an openvpn connection started outbound with keep-alives
more than someone else's dynamic dns service anyway.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com