[CentOS] Installing kernel RHEL-5.3 on CentOS 5.2 (x86_64)

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Jan 14 00:28:12 UTC 2009

Marcelo M. Garcia wrote:
> Hi
>
> I tried to install the kernel Red Hat 5.3 x86_64 (2.6.18-128.el5.x86_64)
> with the command:
>   rpm -Uvh kernel-2.6.18-128.el5.x86_64.rpm
> but there is problem with dependecy: ecryptfs-util < 44. How to solve
> problems with depencies when installing a beta kernel?
>
> I'm trying this kernel to see if I get CentOS working with the wireless
> iw4965. I tried the drivers from Intel, but the compilation failed.

It seems that ecryptfs-util is filesystem specific, and that's not
a default filesystem in linux, so you should be safe in forcing the
rpm to install (--nodeps --force or something).

Another option may be to get the .src.rpm and build it from source, it
may detect that you don't have ecryptfs-util and not build in support
for it or something.

nate