[CentOS] mp3 to wav converter

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 07:11:14 UTC 2009

>David G. Miller wrote:

>It's actually a tad easier than that as long as you don't mind forcing
>wxGTK to stay at 2.6.3-1.  I just removed the "current" version of
wxGTK
>(rpm -e wxGTK-2.8.9-1.el5.rf ) and then installed
>audacity-1.3.0b-1.el5.rf and wxGTK-2.6.3-1.el5.rf by doing a "yum
>localinstall."  Seems to work fine although I have to do updates as
"yum
>--exclude wxGTK update" or the update fails dependency checks.
------
Dave,
Ok, I have these installed:
rpm -qa | grep wx

wxPython2.8-devel-gtk2-unicode-2.8.4.2-fc6_py2.4
wxPython-common-gtk2-unicode-2.8.4.2-fc6_py2.4
wxPython2.8-gtk2-unicode-2.8.4.2-fc6_py2.4
perl-Alien-wxWidgets-0.31-1.el5.rf
wxGTK-2.8.9-1.el5.rf
compat-wxGTK26-2.6.4-2.el5.ccrma
The fc6 ones are from the python.org site. They are for for wx widgets
and gtk (my experiments).

>I posted more about how I solved the issues on my blog at
>http://davenjudy.org/davesBlog/node/40

>There could be an issue if some package other than audacity needs the
>more recent version of wxGTK but I didn't have to force the removal of
>the package.  This tells me that the easiest way to resolve this issue
>may be to just "hold" wxGTK at 2.6.3-1 until the next version of
>audacity is ready for prime time.  Anyone know of any other packages
>that are dependent on wxGTK and need the most recent version?

Mine is working on 2.6.4-2 the same as my clients machine has.
Also my wxGTK is newer than yours.

>Finally, if you don't want to mess with any of this, you can convert
an
>mp3 to wav using mpg123:
>mpg123 -w infile.wav outfile.mp3

Yea, at once I played with that also but when you have a client that
does not know anything about the command line it is hard for them to use
it, thus the Audaciy GUI made them happy..... On the test machine I did
a --nodeps install of audacity (from the forums i read that) but after I
got all the deps correct then I did not have to do that on my clients
machine.

JohnStanley