[CentOS] 3Ware 9650SE tuning advice

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 04:51:40 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 18:12, Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org> wrote:
> I'm not yet sure if I should be using tgtd or IET (iSCSI Enterprise Target).

tgtd is already included as a technology preview in RHEL5 (RPM
scsi-target-utils, you can install this one in CentOS 5 as well [this
is what you're using, right?]) and the kernel-space component is
included in the upstream Linux kernel from version 2.6.20. From these
facts, I think there is a great chance that tgtd will be maintained
and supported in RHEL6, which usually means that it will be kept
stable and up to date. With that in mind, if I were to choose, I would
tend to go towards tgtd if it worked for me.

On the other hand, what should drive your decision is what works best
for you. You should probably test both under a workload similar to the
one you expect to have in production and see if one or them is a clear
winner in that case.

Let us know how that goes!

HTH,
Filipe