[CentOS] postfix relay and mail host for HPC cluster

Tony Schreiner

schreian at bc.edu
Fri Jan 16 17:37:29 UTC 2009

I've so far been unable to make the following work:

I have a small cluster with a master node  ( called bayes.bc.edu on
the public network, and called master.cl.bc.edu on the internal
10.0.0.0 network). and a number of nodes which are purely on the
private network.

I want the master to receive mail and deliver locally (or use .forward
and alias rules) to messages sent from the nodes to user at master, and I
want it to relay non-local addresses to my campus relay host which is
another machine.

The relay part works ok,  all mail addressed in a form that my campus
relay host recognizes gets delivered. The problem is that mail to

user at master.cl.bc.edu  (the internal name)  gets relayed to the campus
relay which does not know about the host name master.cl.bc.edu because
that is defined on a private DNS server for the cluster, and the
campus relay rejects the message.

How can I get my cluster master to not relay messages addressed to
@master.cl.bc.edu?
The queueing/resource manager (torque/pbs) wants to send automatic
status messages to user at master.cl.bc.edu and that cannot easily be
changed.

Mail MTA is postfix for both master and nodes
Some postfix settings on the master.

myhostname = bayes.bc.edu
mydomain = bc.edu
myorigin = bayes.bc.edu