[CentOS] kickstart over ilo serial port

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Sat Jan 17 00:44:32 UTC 2009

Scott Silva wrote:

> No they don't. The text console is always available. It is just the graphic
> console that you need a license for.

They did in iLO 2 on my 380G5s, as soon as the system POSTed even in
text mode the vga text console would go away and a license screen
would show. G4s and G3s VGA text console was always available.

Also remote vga console was removed from the ssh interface as well
if I recall right, only serial was available, again in 380G5, G4s
and G3s VGA console was accessible from SSH.

>From the horse's mouth, note "pre-OS" mode:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12362_na/12362_na.html

Virtual KVM remote text console

Embedded hardware remote console capabilities in a text mode screen prior to
Integrated Lights-Out 2 management processors. This provides access to
system BIOS and POST during system start-up using Virtual KVM technology.
Remote text in "pre-OS" mode is accessible from the Integrated Remote
Console and the Java applet Remote Console. The Java applet supports both
Microsoft and Sun Java software.

Integrated Remote Console

iLO 2 introduces the new Java-free Integrated Remote Console for
environments with Microsoft Windows host and client operating systems. With
iLO 2 Standard and iLO 2 Standard Blade Edition, Integrated Remote Console
provides access to Virtual KVM in pre-OS text mode and Virtual power from a
single screen. iLO 2 Standard Blade Edition also allows virtual media to be
controlled from the IRC. The IRC runs on an ActiveX Control that is a
one-time, automatic download to clients running Windows Internet Explorer
allowing users to operate without installing any Java clients.

--

Perhaps your systems were ordered with iLO 2 advanced by default,
mine were not(didn't need it). Though in a pinch you can get

nate