[CentOS] Apache Server Tuning for Performance

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Tue Jan 20 18:56:23 UTC 2009

linux-crazy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am facing  facing performance issues with our web servers which is
> working for concurrent  250 requests properly and then stops
> responding when the requests are more than 250 .

Increase your MaxClients configuration, also enable if you
haven't already the server-status module and monitor the
server via http://<your server name>/server-status it will
show how many workers are busy and what they are doing.

As for which to use, prefork is the old forked method of
doing things, the other uses threads. Depending on what kind
of application your running on top of apache, if it is not
thread safe(at some point many PHP modules were not thread
safe), you may want to use prefork. Otherwise you can use
the threading model.

If your not sure I'd say stick to prefork to be safe until
you can determine for sure that threading is safe.

nate