[CentOS] Firefox error msg.

Ralph Angenendt ra+centos at br-online.de
Wed Jan 21 10:13:18 UTC 2009

Bob Taylor wrote:
> After installing my backup of /home and seeing firefox not restart, I
> started it from the command line with the immediate error:
>
> Could not find compatible GRE between version 1.9.0.5 and 1.9.0.5.
>
> I'm sorry, I'm at a complete loss. What's a GRE?

It's probably misspelt and something on your disk was eaten by a GRUE.

Try "sudo xulrunner --register-global", because somehow firefox believes
that it cannot find a working xulrunner instance on your machine.

Do that *after* you checked that firefox and xulrunner are updated to
the latest versions:

[angenenr at shutdown ~]$rpm -q firefox xulrunner
firefox-3.0.5-1.el5.centos.x86_64
xulrunner-1.9.0.5-1.el5.x86_64
[angenenr at shutdown ~]$

Cheers,

Ralph

PS:  A GRE really isn't as fearsome as a GRUE is, a GRE is just the Gecko
     Runtime Environment.
PPS: Depending on how you have been socialized:
     <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grue_(monster)>