[CentOS] Old Small Box

James A. Peltier jpeltier at fas.sfu.ca
Wed Jan 21 23:37:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED
> <m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I have an old 400mHz Dell with a 20G hard drive
>> and 125M ram.  Can I install and run CentOS on it?
>> Thanks,
>
> You can install/run the CentOS-3 OS. CentOS-4 might run. I do not
> think CentOS-5 would be able to be installed on the system.

CentOS 5 requires 512MB for installation due to building package
dependancy trees.  Once installed it will *run* with less, of course,
package dependency issues can still arise afterwards. ;)

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.fas.sfu.ca | http://vivarium.cs.sfu.ca
MSN     : subatomic_spam at hotmail.com

To make a mistake is human.
To blame it on others... that's management material!