[CentOS] Antivirus for CentOS? (yuck!)

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Thu Jan 22 02:20:38 UTC 2009

Amos Shapira wrote:
> 2009/1/22 Ian Forde <ian at duckland.org>:
>
>> same network as the Linux hosts, that should take care of the sweet spot
>> of the AV argument.  (Though if you're connected to a site via VPN or
>> private link that has Windows boxes, that may be a different story.)
>
> Rightso. You reminded me - we have a couple of Windows servers there
> as well (running software we didn't get around to port to Linux yet).
> They only talk to internal systems and we'll install BitDefender on
> them (that's what we have around here).

IF AV is needed, then BitDefender used to do a free command line based
package for Linux. I don't know if it's still available, but if that's
what you're using then might be worth looking into for evaluation
purposes. The free version might not be available for commercial use
though, but if you're already purchasing licences from them...

The joke of this is that when I tested a bunch of Linux based AVs a few
years back, most of them didn't actually detect any Linux virus samples
in my corpus - they only detected Windows-based samples.