[CentOS] OT? File order on CentOS/Samba server

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Thu Jan 22 23:10:12 UTC 2009

> You might want to look closely at the file names in Linux.
>
> Windows is not case sensitive but Linux is.
>
> In Windows, you cannot create the 2 files, TEST.DOC and test.doc in the
> same directory but in Linux you can. It may be that some of these files
> are stored differently as in file1.ps and FILE2.PS etc.
>
> Also, you might want to check out some alternate settings...
>

> dos filemode = yes (Share setting only)
> case sensitive = no (share setting only)
> default case = lower (share setting only)

I am aware of the differences in case treatment between Linux and
Windows. This is not related to case.
The filenames in question are automated and ALWAYS take the following form:

M09010901A001C.ps
M09010901A002C.ps
M09010901A003C.ps

etc, etc.

(By the way, the Samba share settings are not "share only". According to
the man pages, share settings can be used globally. The inverse is not
true: global settings can only be used globally.)

Thank you for your answer, though.