[CentOS] Completeley disabling SELinux?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Fri Jan 23 16:26:38 UTC 2009

Kevin Thorpe wrote:
> Hi all,
>           I've set SELinux to disabled using the security and firewall
> widget but I'm still getting a lot of messages in Logwatch....
>
>  NULL security context for user, but SELinux in permissive mode, continuing
> ()
>
> So it looks like SELinux is still operating. Can anyone tell me how to
> turn it off completely? It's my development
> server under my desk so I reallly don't care about security.

I remove all of the selinux packages and disable it as well in

packages I make sure are not installed via kickstart:

CentOS 4.x
libselinux
libselinux-devel
libsepol
selinux-policy-targeted

CentOS 5.x
libselinux
libselinux-devel
libselinux-python
libsemanage
libsepol
libsepol-devel
selinux-policy
selinux-policy-targeted

on CentOS 4.x I also do this via kickstart:
sed -i s'/SELINUX=enforcing/SELINUX=disabled'/g /etc/sysconfig/selinux

as using kickstart's internal stuff to disable selinux didn't
seem to do the job.

nate