[CentOS] OT? File order on CentOS/Samba server -- SOLVED (kind of...)

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Fri Jan 23 19:43:59 UTC 2009

> http://code.google.com/p/samba-dirsort-vfs/
> Did you try that? I think someone recommended it to you.
Well, I did try to compile it but make fails on all the Linux computers
I have access to. They all run CentOS 5.2. It would be nice to have a
.rpm... I am a sysadmin, not a programmer, I am not able to solve most
compile errors.
> (...) think your real problem lies in your processing software in
> the file ordering. I would have a really good look at the software doing it.

The problem lies in EXT3. I discovered that if I mv the files to another
directory the files will then appear on the samba shares in
alphanumerical order and will be processed by Acrobat Distiller
accordingly. The move can even be done by Windows Explorer working on
the Samba share.

This seems a bit strange to me. Why doesn't EXT3 present the files in
alphanumerical order after they are first created one by one but then
presents them alphanumerically after a bulk move to another directory?

Also, I connected a FAT32 formated USB flash drive to the server and
directed Distiller to there. The files are correctly processed at the
first trial. I suppose I will install a smallish FAT32 formated IDE disk
on the server just for this purpose.

Thank you to all who answered my questions. We form a great community
indeed!