[CentOS] OT? File order on CentOS/Samba server -- SOLVED (kind of...)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 22:30:16 UTC 2009

Miguel Medalha wrote:
>> Did you consider sharing a directory from the machine running distiller
>> and cifs-mounting it on the linux side to get ntfs behavior?
> That is out of question. The Windows machines are graphic workstations
> which are not all connected all the time and the Distiller service is
> essential to the network.

I was under the impression that the Distiller app was running under
Windows.  If it isn't, it doesn't make much sense for it to expect NTFS
filesystem semantics.

> When all the pages have been produced, one of the graphics people places
> a special text file on a folder watched by Distiller and it begins to
> bulk process all the individual PS files:

[...]

> The difficulty with the scripted solutions proposed here is that we
> cannot know in advance at what time this process will take place and
> what the number of pages involved will be.

Can't the trigger operation of placing the special text file be replaced
by that person starting the script instead (perhaps click a button on a
web page or something similar)?

 > At the end of each issue
> every minute counts. A watching process would have to poll the status of
> the workflow for several hours with very small intervals, which would be
> a waste of  processor cicles. And not a very elegant thing to do, I feel.

While I wouldn't call it elegant, filesystem caching makes such things
efficient enough that you'll never notice them running.  If you need a
script that looks for a file to appear or expands a wildcard in a
directory, go ahead and use one as long as you can sleep for at least a
few seconds in the loop. It's cheaper than having a person rearrange
something.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com