[CentOS] OT? File order on CentOS/Samba server -- SOLVED (kind of...)

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Sat Jan 24 15:25:57 UTC 2009

> Hi,
>
> You might want to try to look into the Distiller side of things.

That's what I always did. I am a DTP guy.
> 1) I believe you are using Rundirex.txt file to convert all the .ps's
> into one .pdf. This page from Adobe confirms that it will take the
> files in directory order under Windows:
>
> http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=318674
> "-- Acrobat Distiller for Windows will process the files in the order
> in which you put them into the folder and create the PDF pages in the
> order in which it processes the files."
> "-- Acrobat Distiller for Mac OS will process the files in alphabetical order."
> (one solution would be getting a mac, hehehe).
>
> Strange that you never hit the wrong order problem before, since
> according to that page, you should...

Regardless of what that paper says, Distiller has ALWAYS processed the
files in alphabetical order under Windows. I have been doing so since
2000 and Acrobat Distiller 4. We are now at 9. I refer, of course, to
the use of rundirx.

> 2) That page also talks about Runfilex.ps file, which is basically the
> same, only you have to list each .ps file in the order you want them
> to be included.

I already addressed that on my first post. I tried runfilex.ps but then
Distiller takes 30 to 40 minutes to do the same job that it now does in
3 to 4 minutes, which really is not an option for a newspaper at closing
time.

I will do some more experiences, from the Distiller side and the Linux
side, and I will report here.

Thank you for your answers.