[CentOS] OT? File order on CentOS/Samba server -- SOLVED (kind of...)

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Sat Jan 24 17:43:27 UTC 2009

> again, Windows NTFS directories are inherently stored in sorted order
> because they are B-Tree indexes on the filename.
>
> if this distiller process is being run from a "DOS" batch job in
> Windows, you could perhaps use something like...
>
>     for /f %%F in ('dir /b /on *.ps') DO @\path\to\distiller .... %%F ....
>
> to run it on all *.ps files in the current working directory in
> alphabetic order.

Please note that what Distiller is doing is not "run on all *.ps files
in alphabetic order".  If only that were the case, I wouldn't be here
bothering people...
Instructed by a special PS file, Distiller is running a set of complex
operations on a group of files in alphabetic order.

I can modify that special PS file to make Distiller process the files in
any order I want.
The problem is that when the order is not provided by the filesystem
itself, the process takes forever.
That's why I was looking for a solution at the filesystem level. I was
trying to understand the inner workings of EXT3 and looking for a
workaround.

Thank you for your tip, though. Maybe some day I will need it.