[CentOS] More than 2TB RAID...

John Doe jdmls at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 27 13:11:12 UTC 2009

From: James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com>
> I have this problem, I just boot from usb sticks?
> A 512MB usb pen drive is (just about extinct!) only about £2.00 so get
> three, make one an ms-dos disk with parted and format it ready. Then
> pop-in CentOS and install it mounting the usb pen as /boot so grub
> boots from that msdos partition and then use dd to copy the usb
> pendrive to two more to have them knocking around (take one home and
> put it in your sock draw or something) and just keep the image for the
> pen drive somewhere like with your work files?

I guess that would work but I don't think my boss will like having a usb key plugged in each servers...

From: Morten Torstensen <morten at mortent.org>
> I would create two raid logical volumes, one for centos (say, 20GB to
> 100GB) and one with the rest of the space. Install centos and normal MBR
> on /dev/sda and then use lvm on the /dev/sdb directly with no partition
> table needed.
> I would also strongly consider having two disks mirrored for the system
> in one lvm vg and the rest in another, but with 1TB disks it is kind of
> wasted space. Tho with 12 disks you can have 2 disks for RAID1, then
> 8+P+1 in RAID5.

Yes but, as I said, I sadly don't have access (yet)to vendor utilities that would allow me to create logical volumes...
For this entry model of server, there is no offline/bootable utility to access extended RAID configuration (even if HP shipped the utility CD for this unsupported server ^_^) .
The BIOS raid setup is very basic, select drives, RAID level, and click...
I could do 2 HDs in RAID1, then 10 disks in RAID6, but that would indeed "waste" 1TB.

The best solution would be to be able somehow to run the avanced RAID utility...
For that, I need a running OS where I could install it.

Thx,
JD