[CentOS] More than 2TB RAID...

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Tue Jan 27 16:00:08 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 27 January 2009, John Doe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just received a new server (HP DL180G5) with 12x 1TB HDs and I bumped
> into fdisks 2TB limits... Since this is an entry level server, I can't use
> the classic HP bootable utilities to create smaller volumes et can only
> create a big RAID6.

If it does raid6 then you have a p400 or p800 controller, right? If so then
hpacucli or similar can easily give you a small logical drive for the OS and
then a large one for data.

On the small one partition normally and install grub.

On the big one do one of:

1) partition with parted and gpt
2) use lvm and put a pv directly on the cciss device
3) put the filesystem directly on the cciss device

Also since you have that hardware. Make sure your controller firmware is at
5.22, drives at HPG6 and backplane at 2.00

Cheers,
 Peter