[CentOS] More than 2TB RAID...

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Wed Jan 28 12:43:53 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 28 January 2009, John Doe wrote:
> From: Peter Kjellstrom <cap at nsc.liu.se>
>
> > If it does raid6 then you have a p400 or p800 controller, right? If so
> > then hpacucli or similar can easily give you a small logical drive for
> > the OS and then a large one for data.
>
> Yes, that's the plan but, the thing is to be able to run the utilities...
> I need either to make a live CD with the HP tools installed, or a
> "temporary OS with the tools... First try will be to create a RAID6 on 3
> disks (=1 TB, so no grub problems), install the OS, run HP ACU, extend the
> RAID to the 12 disks, and create the logical disks... If first try fails,
> second try would be to use a temporary USB disk to install a temporary OS.

This sounds much better to me. Invest 30 min. and install a centos-5 to a 4G
usb-stick. Put hpacucli and hpaducli on it and then you can configure, manage
and diagnose any server you want.

> I even thought of Installing the P800 in a model 3xx, while leaving the
> disks in the DL180 (if cable length permits it), and boot with SmartStart
> on the 3xx... ^_^ As for the logical disks sizes, we would go with
> something like 5 disks of 1.9TB. So, just classic msdos partitions.
> One thing is for sure, HP tries really hard to make it complicated...

Why would you make 5 logical drives? Why use partition tables?

I think hpacucli works fine but it sure would have been nice to be able to
create flexible logical drives in the smartarray bios.

/Peter