[CentOS] Emergency rescue help needed

Alex H. Vandenham alex at avantel.ca
Thu Jan 29 17:00:44 UTC 2009

On Thursday 29 January 2009 11:37:00 am Scott Silva wrote:

> If you had many power failures, the filesystem might just be severely
> trashed. Journals and files out of sync, etc... If a good fsck didn't fix
> it, you might just be in for a wipe-reinstall, or many hours of finding and
> fixing corrupted files.. I would install to a new drive, and then you can
> take some time recovering from the old drive as you find things missing.
> That way you will still have the old system for whatever might come up. I
> always seem to find something that didn't get backed up properly.

Since you can log in as root, a less drastic first step might be to:

Change your runlevel (as root) to 3 and try a text login (as you) for access
to your files.

man init

If the kde files are trashed, perhaps you can create another user on the
system and copy over your personal files, or do a diff to see which kde files
might have been trashed.

If it really looks bad (disk bad and/or major file corruption) , then I agree
that a new install might be the way to go but that's significant pain . . .

Alex
===

dangerous content by Avantel Systems, and is
believed to be clean.