[CentOS] Emergency rescue help needed

Toby Bluhm tkb at alltechmedusa.com
Fri Jan 30 13:04:37 UTC 2009

John wrote:
.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague.
>>
>> I just fixed a test box that kept getting something like
>> "received INT
>> 11 - no one cared" and then locks up. Replaced two caps - I
>> yanked them
>> from some old, defunct power supplies.
>
> -----
> How did you know they were bad? Could you explain to her what to look for
> and how to use a Multimeter?

You look at them - no meter required. The tops of the electrolytic
capacitors should be flat and clean looking - not bulged, puffed or
discolored. It's all described very well in the wiki page.

Replacing the capacitors does require soldering equipment and soldering
skills. Or just replace the whole MB or power supply - whichever is the
problem.

--
tkb