[CentOS] /etc/X11/xorg.conf question [SOLVED]

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Fri Jan 30 21:21:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 15:47 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:12 AM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Rpmforge has rpms for nvidia drivers (older like I use and newer too).
>
> Should I try them? I can't imagine that system-config-display does not

I think you might want to. But not for the problem. I don't think that's
related.

> work, with other video cards and chips, so I suspect the problem is
> with the nv driver that got installed with the OS.

I doubt that. Before I started using the rpmforge packages, I used the
box-stock ones w/o problems. I suspect that running it from a X session
is related. ISTR that in some other thread someone mentioned some CLI
stuff specific to Gnome could be used, but I don't recall them. I
_think_ the normal GUI display configuration stuff just modifies configs
for the desktop manager. I _suspect_ they would not update xorg.config.
System-config-display does that and AFAIK has no problem. But, as
mentioned, I never ran it while X was active and never used --reconfig.

I also _always_ visually inspected the results and modified them to suit
my taste: reduced the number of modes, added more color depths, filled
in missing DDC info, etc.

As to the rpmforge units, my _perception_ is that things work a little
faster with those drivers. The stock nv driver is ok, but a lot of folks
have commented about increased utility with the nvidia drivers. They
usually installed from source.

Since rpmforge now has rpms for both the older and newer drivers, no
need to roll your own.

You'll need to get card ID information so you know if you need the older
or newer drivers. E.g.

$ /sbin/lspci|grep -i nv
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX
4000] (rev c1)

>From X.org.log

(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 4000 AGP 8x]
rev 193, Mem @ 0xe8000000/24, 0xe0000000/27

If you just acquired the card, probably the newer package is what you
want. If the card is a couple years old, the older one is likely what's
needed.

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--